Good advice for anyone pitching a mobile agency or trying to win mobile ad dollars.
Here’s my advice for how to win mobile agency friends and influence media buys — based on the publishers who are doing it right and have impressed my team to date:
- Consider bringing someone from the technology side of your mobile company to a meeting with clients. These people are extremely powerful because they are not on commission and are truly passionate about the technology that differentiates their company.
- Tell us what you suck at. Everyone sucks at something. You don’t have to dwell on it but it shows honesty and integrity.
- Tell us what you rock at. If you have a campaign that you are truly proud of, show us a case study and let your passion come out. Bonus points if it is in the category of a client at the agency.
- Validate claims. If you want to convince me that you are the “only,” the “best,” the “exclusive partner of” something, then be prepared to validate that in the same claim. Superlatives come across as untruths in sales pitches without facts.
- Include the following key points in your pitch: Apps vs mobile web capabilities, operating systems you work with, HTML 5, rich media, video, availability on exchange, global reach (meaning places that you have actually run ads), areas of specialization (e.g. Games, LBS, Music, etc)
- Send me one email personally showing interest in my company and my clients. (Do not send me an intro email of more than one paragraph automated from Salesforce. As soon as we see that Salesforce stamp, we know you sent it to 100 people and won’t notice if we don’t reply.)